Fri Jul 8, 2011
I won’t describe how the SMS application works or how to use it, you can find this in a separate post describing the Python version.
Learning and using CoffeeScript
- CoffeeScript website.
- Watch this video.
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoffeeScript
- A list of CoffeeScript resources.
- CoffeeScript wiki.
- Smooth CoffeeScript is a free CoffeeScript book.
- CoffeeScript Cookbook.
- I also found the CoffeeScript book from the Pragmatic Bookshelf a good read.
- NodeJS wiki.
- NodeJS API documentation.
- NodeJS library source.
I found the hardest part was not CoffeeScript itself but getting used to the NodeJS asynchronous I/O paradigm – once you’ve twigged it’s not much harder to write or understand it’s just different.
Impressions of CoffeeScript
I’m quite smitten by CoffeeScript, it’s incredibly expressive and has that ineffable “just right” feel about it, no rough edges, no surprises, everything just works – hats off to Jeremy Ashkenas, CoffeeScript’s creator.